Cornelius, NC Facts
Cornelius is located along Lake Norman in northern Mecklenburg County. 25 Minutes north of Charlotte via Interstate 77.
25 minutes from uptown Charlotte via I-77, North Carolina's Lake Norman Region is light-years away in attitude — a 32,500-acre water wonderland surrounded by beautiful lakefront neighborhoods, spectacular golf, elegant shopping and the charming village.
Lake Norman's 520 miles of beautiful shoreline, easy access to major interstate arteries and the resource of talented business professionals make the region one of the fastest-growing and sought after places for companies and their employees to reside. From businesses to education, medical to recreational, Lake Norman has it all.
Corporate Headquarters (Business) – Companies such as Ingersoll-Rand, Lowe's, Microban , MSC, GE Polymer land have chosen Lake Norman for their corporate headquarters or the sites of major portions of their operations.
Retail – From department stores and other national retail names to the eclectic mix of shops and eateries along the Lake Norman region, the retail environment is strong and growing, providing a complete shopping experience right where you live and work.
Medical – With the region's population growing steadily each year, the need for medical care is always important for the community. With a regional hospital conveniently located right off of Interstate 77 and another hospital under construction, and many medical care practices; medical care is close to home.
Lake Norman Regional is a comprehensive Mooresville medical center that provides the highest level of clinical care using the most advanced technology available. Our medical campus encompasses a 123-bed hospital, orthopedic specialty center, an outpatient surgery center, comprehensive women's center, a surgical center for weight loss, and four medical office buildings.
Carolinas Medical Center-Huntersville (CMC-Huntersville) is a healthcare pavilion in North Carolina that brings a higher level of medical expertise to the community. We are leading the way in advanced, comprehensive, community-based healthcare services, including:
- 24-hour emergency department with bedside registration for convenience and privacy
- Treatment rooms, including one designated as a trauma/resuscitation room
- Private observation rooms for monitoring
- Physicians board-certified in emergency medicine
- On-call medical specialists available for consultation
- An array of advanced diagnostic imaging services, including CT scanner
College – Lake Norman is home to Davidson College, in Davidson, North Carolina. Davidson is a nationally recognized, highly selective independent liberal arts college that was founded in 1837 by Presbyterians. Today, Davidson enrolls approximately 1,600 men and women.
School Systems: The citizens of Cornelius, NC, attend the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. Elementary schools include Cornelius Elementary and JV Washam Elementary. Middle schools include the Bailey Middle School and Community School of Davidson. William Amos Hough High School opened in August 2012 and currently serves over 2000 students.
- Cannon School in Concord
- Davidson Day School in Davidson
- Grace Covenant Academy in Cornelius
- Lake Norman Christian School in Davidson
- New Beginnings Christian Academy in Cornelius
- Phoenix Montessori Academy in Cornelius
- St Mark's Grammar School in Huntersville
- Woodlawn School in Davidson
- Southlake Christian Academy
Lake Norman Quick Facts
Year Built: 1959-1963
- Area: 32,510 acres at full pond
- Length: 33.6 miles
- Width: 9 miles
- Shore line length: 520 miles
- Maximum Depth: 110 feet
- Average Depth: 33.5 feet
- Maximum Draw-down: 15 feet
- Capacity: 3.4 trillion gallons of water
- Volume: 1,093,600 acre-feet
- Elevation at full pond: 760 feet above MSL
- Retention Time: 207 days (average)
- Drainage Area: 1,790 square miles
- Average River Flow at Cowans Ford Dam: 1,726 MGD
- Named for: Norman Atwater Cocke (former president of Duke Power)
- Source of the Catawba River: Evans Knob in Gower County
- Lake level: Call 1-800-829-5253
- Location: Latitude: 35.5177689 Longitude: -80.9557724
- Total length: 7,387 feet (1,279 feet is concrete, 6,108 feet is earthen)